Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic Of 1918 And The Search For The Virus That Caused It

~ Gina Kolata

« Older   Newer »

Biting's excellent.
    It's like kissing.
    Only there's a winner.

Group
    Amministratori

Status
    jpg

Titolo Flu: The Story Of The Great Influenza Pandemic Of 1918 And The Search For The Virus That Caused It
    Autore Gina Kolata
    Genere storico, scientifico
    Paese U.S.A.
    Lingua inglese
    Prima edizione 1999
    Editore Farrar Straus Giroux
    Trama
    The fascinating, true story of the world's deadliest disease.
    In 1918, the Great Flu Epidemic felled the young and healthy virtually overnight. An estimated forty million people died as the epidemic raged. Children were left orphaned and families were devastated. As many American soldiers were killed by the 1918 flu as were killed in battle during World War I. And no area of the globe was safe. Eskimos living in remote outposts in the frozen tundra were sickened and killed by the flu in such numbers that entire villages were wiped out.
    Scientists have recently rediscovered shards of the flu virus frozen in Alaska and preserved in scraps of tissue in a government warehouse. Gina Kolata, an acclaimed reporter for "The New York Times," unravels the mystery of this lethal virus with the high drama of a great adventure story. Delving into the history of the flu and previous epidemics, detailing the science and the latest understanding of this mortal disease, Kolata addresses the prospects for a great epidemic recurring, and, most important, what can be done to prevent it.

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Dopo una breve introduzione sul protagonista della storia, la pandemia influenzale del 1918, con racconti incentrati in prevalenza sulla situazione statunitense, Gina Kolata ci porta nel mondo della ricerca correlata ai vari ceppi di influenza.
    Partendo dalla spagnola del 1918, passando per l'influenza suina del 1976 fino ad arrivare alla aviaria del 1997, ci vengono raccontati i vari metodi di studio e di profilassi per individuare e tenere a bada le varie pandemie che hanno colpito il globo nel secolo scorso, inserendo anche la storia della creazione dei vari vaccini.
    Nel contempo ci illustra i vari tentativi fatti per ricreare il ceppo originario del 1918, nel tentativo di realizzare un vaccino che possa coprirci quando la prossima pandemia si scatenerà.
    Un testo interessante, che racconta di pandemie che sembrano essere state volutamente cancellate dalla storia, come la spagnola, e di come i ricercatori hanno sviluppato le tecniche per riconoscerle e combatterle.
    Qualche teoria sulla probabile origine della spagnola chiude il libro ma, al tempo della pubblicazione del libro (e anche ora, vent'anni dopo), non era stato scoperto nulla di concreto.
    Per gli interessati alle pandemie e, soprattutto, alla ricerca dedicata ad esse.

4 / 5

0 replies since 30/7/2019, 01:47   27 views