Make someone do something
    Make someone feel something
    Have someone do something

Want someone to do something
    Tell someone to do something
    Ask someone to do something
    Ask someone for something

Order someone to do something

Have something done I am going to have my hair cut.
    He had a tooth pulled.
    They had the room repainted after the coffee pot exploded

Get something done “He finally got the car fixed”
    Want something done “I want that wall repainted immediately”

“I want the missing window replaced”
    Want someone to be “I want him to be my friend.”

------------------------------------------
    2 UNLESS & UNTIL

I don’t suggest going out in the rain UNLESS you want to catch a cold.
    I don’t suggest drinking too much wine before bedtime, UNLESS you want to wake up with a splitting headache
    I don’t suggest calling her back UNLESS you want the whole thing to start all over again. You’ll just start quarrelling again.
    I don’t suggest taking the bus UNLESS you want to be late
    I don’t suggest eating chocolate UNLESS you want to break out in a rash. You know how allergic you are to it!
    Please give me back the book unless you haven’t finished reading it.
    Could you please repay the debt, unless you haven’t any money.
    Please give me my dictionary, unless you haven’t any money to buy one for yourself.
    Please let me know how long it will take, unless you don’t know.
    UNTIL
    You cannot go out until you have finished your homework
    You cannot go out unless you have finished your homework
    You can stay up until midnight. He slept until noon.
    TILL till morning till sundown till noon till tomorrow
    You have to wait until the bus comes
    You have to wait till the bus comes
    WAIT UNTIL DARK

3.GERUND OR INFINITIVE

Remember to do
    Remember doing

Stop to do
    Stop doing

Used to do
    Used to doing

Insist on doing
    Like doing
    love doing
    hate doing
    finish doing
    keep doing

To always be doing

4. WISH

We use the verb wish to express regret that something is not the way we would like it to be, when something is not the case.
    I wish I were rich. I wish I were lucky. I wish I had a million dollars. I wish I were at home, right now, sitting by the fire.
    I wish I were on the beach right now, in a very hot, dry, place with the sun shining. I wish I had an apartment in Paris on the Left Bank. I wish I had a new dress to wear to the Christmas party.
    I wish I had enough money to pay my electric bill.
    I wish I knew why I can’t always get Moodle to work and to do what I want it to.
    I wish I spoke Modern Greek as well as I speak Italian.
    I wish I were____________
    I wish I had ________________
    I wish I knew __________________
    (REFERRED TO THE PAST)
    I wish I had studied more English when I was living I London. Now I realize what a difference it might have made.
    I wish you hadn’t told her what I told you in confidence. I told you it was a secret and I didn’t want her to know
    I wish I hadn’t gone to that party last night. We didn’t get home till very late and I overslept this morning
    I wish you hadn’t drunk the last of the milk in the fridge. I needed it to bake a cake.
    I wish I had been born in Japan and not in Viterbo.
    I wish I had known June was hurricane season, I wouldn’t have accepted your offer for that trip.
    I wish you had told me June was hurricane season, I would have stayed home
    REFERRED TO THE FUTURE
    He is leaving in the morning. I wish he weren’t leaving in the morning.
    They say it’s going to snow
    Tomorrow I wish it weren’t going to snow tomorrow
    I hope it doesn’t snow tomorrow/ I hope it won’t snow tomorrow
    He’s going to fail his driving test for sure
    I wish he weren’t going to fail.
    I hope he doesn’t fail his driving text
    I am not coming to the party tomorrow.
    I wish I were coming with you to the party tomorrow
    He is going to be executed at dawn
    I wish he weren’t going to be executed at dawn.
    I hope he isn’t going to be executed tomorrow
    I wish I weren’t going to Rome tomorrow
    I hope I don’t have to go to Rome tomorrow.
    I wish I were going with you to the disco
    I hope I can come with you to the disco
    I wish I weren’t leaving tomorrow
    I hope I don’t have to leave tomorrow
    I wish THERE WEREN’T GOING TO BE A GLOBAL CRISIS
    I hope there isn’t going to be a global crisis.
    I hope there won’t be a global crisis.
    I WISH IWEREN’T GOING TO BE DRIVING HOME IN THIS RAIN
    I wish he weren’t going to Viterbo tomorrow, such bad weather is expected
    I hope he isn’t going to Viterbo tomorrow. Such bad weather is expected.
    It costs a lot to buy a cell phone
    I wish it didn’t cost so much.
    I live too far away from the train station
    I wish I didn’t live so far away.
    I have such a bad headache
    I wish I didn’t have a headache.
    I know the really bad story about what happened
    I wish I didn’t know the truth.
    I have to wear a back brace because I had an accident
    I wish I didn’t have to wear a back brace.
    My husband doesn’t like shrimp, so I can never make my favourite shrimp dishes. I wish he liked shrimp
    He loves her instead of me. I wish he didn’t love her.
    He thinks my dog is dangerous. I wish he didn’t think that.
    He believes women should stay in the kitchen.
    I wish he didn’t believe that.
    I wish I didn’t waste time watching tv
    I wish I hadn’t wasted time watching that sill program last night.
    You are always smoking in the house. I wish you wouldn’t
    You never take out the garbage I wish you would
    You never tell me the truth I wish you would
    You never try to do anything right I wish you would
    waste
    I wish she would stop spreading lies about me
    I wish she wouldn’t let her dog run about in my yard
    I wish she wouldn’t leave her cat out all night on the balcony
    I wish you would wake up early in the morning
    I wish you would help me with the housework.
    I wish she didn’t have so many cats.
    I wish she didn’t live nextdoor.
    My husband smokes three packs a day.
    I wish he didn’t smoke so much
    I wish he wouldn’t smoke so much, it gets on my nerves.
    He doesn’t speak French. I wish he could
    COULD
    I WISH I COULD .
    I wish I could ski but I can’t.
    I wish I could dance but I can’t
    I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
    Or we close a letter with
    Best wishes,
    Lastly: What do you WISH FOR
    If you had three wishes, what would you wish for?

5. VERBS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED BY AN INFINITIVE

Afford
    Agree
    Appear
    Arrange
    Ask
    Beg
    Care
    Claim
    Consent
    Decide
    Demand
    Deserve
    Expect
    Fail
    Forget
    Hesitate
    Hope
    Learn
    Manage
    Mean
    Offer
    Plan
    Prepare
    Pretend
    Promise
    Refuse
    Regret
    Remember to do
    Struggle
    Swear
    Threaten
    Volunteer
    Wait
    Want
    Wish

6. VERBS FOLLOWED BY A (PR0)NOUN + AN INFINITVE

Advise I advise you to do
    Allow I won’t allow you to go
    Ask I asked him to leave
    Beg
    Cause Her laziness caused her to fail the course.
    Challenge I challenge you to a duel.
    Convince
    Dare
    Encourage I encourage you to read the last page of the novel before writing your essay.
    Expect
    Forbid
    Force
    Hire
    Instruct
    Invite
    Need
    Order
    Permit
    Persuade
    Remind
    Require
    Teach
    Tell
    Urge
    Want
    Warn

7. VERBS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED BY A GERUND

admit
    advise
    anticipate
    appreciate
    avoid
    complete
    consider
    delay
    deny
    discuss
    dislike
    enjoy
    finish
    forget
    can't help
    keep
    mention
    mind
    miss
    postpone
    practice
    quit
    recall
    recollect
    recommend
    regret
    remember
    resent
    resist
    risk
    stop
    suggest
    tolerate
    understand

[i phrasal verbs sono in elaborazione :D ]

Edited by °Ln - 7/5/2013, 18:31

Lascio che le cose mi portino altrove

Group
    Amministratori

Status
    Uppo così, random, perché tanto sto facendo degli schemini U_ù

Linking words

Adding:
    And
    Again
    Besides
    Moreover
    Also
    Furthermore
    Next
    As well
    And then
    In addiction
    Still
    What's more

Contrasting:
    In contrast
    however
    even if
    but
    instead
    on the contrary
    on the other hand
    otherwise
    yet
    although
    despite
    nevertheless
    though

Concluding:
    In conclusion
    In the end
    On the whole
    To sum up
    Eventually
    Finally

Emphasizing:
    Ceirtanly
    In fact
    Not only
    Besides
    Indeed
    Of course

Example:
    For example
    in fact
    For instance
    In other words
    Such as
    That is
    Specifically

Introducing conditions:
    Given that
    As long as
    In case
    Only if
    Provided (that)
    Unless

Comparison:
    Similarly
    Compared to
    In the same way

Result:
    As a consequence
    therefore
    thus
    as a result
    due to
    because (of)
    since
    consequently

Lascio che le cose mi portino altrove

Group
    Amministratori

Status
    Ricapitolati anche i Phrasal verbs (grazie a internet per gli esempi:

break down : stop functioning → That old Jeep had a tendency to break down just when I needed it the most.
    break in : interrupt → The TV station broke in to report the news of the president's death.
    break in on : interrupt (a conversation) → I was talking to Mom on the phone when the operator broke in on our call.
    call on someone : visit someone → We called on you last night but you weren't home.
    call something off : cancel → Jason called the wedding off because he wasn't in love with his fiancé.
    calm down : relax after being angry → You are still mad. You need to calm down before you drive the car.
    carry on : go on, continue
    carry out : eseguire
    carry something off : succeed in doing it
    carry through : complete
    come across something : find unexpectedly → I came across these old photos when I was tidying the closet.
    come down with something : become sick → My nephew came down with chicken pox this weekend.
    come forward : volunteer for a task or to give evidence → The woman came forward with her husband's finger prints.
    come over : to visit → The children promised to come over, but they never do.
    come to : regain consciousness → He was hit on the head very hard, but after several minutes, he started to come to again.
    come up with : to contribute (suggestion, money) → After years of giving nothing, the old parishioner was able to come up with a thousand-dollar donation.
    cut someone off : take out of a will → My grandparents cut my father off when he remarried.
    do away with something : discard → It's time to do away with all of these old tax records.
    do over : repeat a job → Do this homework over.
    dress up : wear nice clothing → It's a fancy restaurant so we have to dress up.
    end up : eventually reach/do/decide → We ended up renting a movie instead of going to the theatre.
    fall apart : break into pieces → My new dress fell apart in the washing machine.
    figure something out : understand, find the answer → I need to figure out how to fit the piano and the bookshelf in this room.
    fill something in : to write information in blanks (Br.E.) → Please fill in the form with your name, address, and phone number.
    fill up : fill to capacity → She filled up the grocery cart with free food.
    find out : discover → My sister found out that her husband had been planning a surprise party for her.
    get along with / on : have a good relationship with → I found it very hard to get along with my brother when we were young.
    get back at someone : retaliate, take revenge → My sister got back at me for stealing her shoes. She stole my favourite hat.
    get carried away : be excited
    get over : recover from sickness or disappointment → I got over the flu, but I don't know if I'll ever get over my broken heart.
    get rid of : eliminate → The citizens tried to get rid of their corrupt mayor in the recent election.
    get through with : finish → When will you ever get through with that program?
    get together : meet (usually for social reasons) → Let's get together for a BBQ this weekend.
    get up : get out of bed → I got up early today to study for my exam.
    give away : give something to someone else for free → The filling station was giving away free gas.
    give in : reluctantly stop fighting or arguing → My boyfriend didn't want to go to the ballet, but he finally gave in.
    give something up : quit a habit → I am giving up smoking as of January 1st.
    give up : stop trying, surrender → My maths homework was too difficult so I gave up.
    go after someone : follow someone → My brother tried to go after the thief in his car.
    go after something : try to achieve something → I went after my dream and now I am a published writer.
    go ahead : start, proceed → Please go ahead and eat before the food gets cold.
    go on : continue → He would finish one Dickens novel and then just go on to the next.
    go over : visit someone nearby → I haven't seen Tina for a long time. I think I'll go over for an hour or two.
    go through : use up; consume → They country went through most of its coal reserves in one year. Did he go through all his money already?
    hold on : wait a short time → Please hold on while I transfer you to the Sales Department.
    hold someone/something back : prevent from doing/going → I had to hold my dog back because there was a cat in the park.
    hold up : delay → I hate to hold up the meeting, but I have to go to the bathroom.
    keep on doing something : continue doing → Keep on stirring until the liquid comes to a boil.
    keep someone/something out : stop from entering → Try to keep the wet dog out of the living room.
    keep something up : continue at the same rate → If you keep those results up you will get into a great college.
    keep up with : maintain pace with → It's hard to keep up with the Joneses when you lose your job!
    leave out : omit → You left out the part about the police chase down Asylum Avenue.
    let someone in : allow to enter → Can you let the cat in before you go to school?
    look after someone/something : take care of → I have to look after my sick grandmother.
    look for someone/something : try to find → I'm looking for a red dress for the wedding.
    look forward to : anticipate with pleasure → I always look forward to the beginning of a new semester.
    look into something : investigate → We are going to look into the price of snowboards today.
    look out : be careful, vigilant, and take notice → Look out! That car's going to hit you!
    look up : search in a list → You've misspelled this word again. You'd better look it up.
    look up to someone : have a lot of respect for → My little sister has always looked up to me.
    make out : hear, understand → He was so far away, we really couldn't make out what he was saying.
    make something up : invent, lie about something → Josie made up a story about why we were late.
    mix something up : confuse two or more things → I mixed up the twins' names again!
    pass something up : decline (usually something good) → I passed up the job because I am afraid of change.
    pay attention to : concentrate → Please pay attention to this important information.
    pick something out : choose → I picked out three sweaters for you to try on.
    pick up : lift something off something else → The crane picked up the entire house. (Watch them pick it up.)
    point out : call attention to → As we drove through Paris, Francoise pointed out the major historical sites.
    put away : save or store → We put away money for our retirement. She put away the cereal boxes.
    put off : postpone → We asked the boss to put off the meeting until tomorrow. (Please put it off for another day.)
    put out : extinguish → The firefighters put out the house fire before it could spread. (They put it out quickly.)
    put something together : assemble → I have to put the crib together before the baby arrives.
    put up with : tolerate → The teacher had to put up with a great deal of nonsense from the new students.
    read through : read quickly
    run across : find by chance → I ran across my old roommate at the college reunion.
    run into someone/something : meet unexpectedly → I ran into an old school-friend at the mall.
    run out of : exhaust supply → The runners ran out of energy before the end of the race.
    set something up : arrange, organize → Our boss set a meeting up with the president of the company.
    show up : arrive → Day after day, Efrain showed up for class twenty minutes late.
    sleep over : stay somewhere for the night (informal) → You should sleep over tonight if the weather is too bad to drive home.
    sort something out : organize, resolve a problem → We need to sort the bills out before the first of the month.
    switch something off : stop the energy flow, turn off → The light's too bright. Could you switch it off.
    switch something on : start the energy flow, turn on → We heard the news as soon as we switched on the car radio.
    take after someone : resemble a family member → I take after my mother. We are both impatient.
    take care of : be responsible for → My oldest sister took care of us younger children after Mom died.
    take down : make a written note → These are your instructions. Write them down before you forget.
    take something off : remove something (usually clothing) → Take off your socks and shoes and come in the lake!
    take something out : remove from a place or thing → Can you take the garbage out to the street for me?
    tear something up : rip into pieces → I tore up my ex-boyfriend's letters and gave them back to him.
    think back : remember (often + to, sometimes + on) → When I think back on my youth, I wish I had studied harder.
    throw something away : dispose of → We threw our old furniture away when we won the lottery.
    try something on : sample clothing → I'm going to try these jeans on, but I don't think they will fit.
    try something out : test → I am going to try this new brand of detergent out.
    turn something down : refuse → I turned the job down because I don't want to move.
    turn something off : stop the energy flow, switch off → Your mother wants you to turn the TV off and come for dinner.
    turn something on : start the energy, switch on → It's too dark in here. Let's turn some lights on.
    use something up : finish the supply → The kids used all of the toothpaste up so we need to buy some more.
    wake up : arouse from sleep → I woke up when the rooster crowed.
    work out : be successful → Our plan worked out fine.

2 replies since 23/8/2009, 10:04   1280 views